Friday, March 28, 2008

Wounded knee x 2

Whilst waiting for Paula in the Diamond lobby I smashed my left knee on the edge of a glass coffee table. So maybe I'm a baby (okay, I am) but OMG did that hurt. So much so that I began to sweat and had to sit down because from past experience when I start to sweat due to pain I'm ready to pass out. The doorman, ('Smiley' as we call him for obvious reasons) felt bad for me and provided the sympathy I wanted and needed but mostly he offered a distraction so that I didn't pass out. Paula came, we greeted one another, then got in her car and headed for Au Parc. Then I realized I had blood dripping down my leg so her driver handed me some Pulppy's (Vietnam's version of the 'Kleenex' only 100x better! I could write a whole chapter on my love for Pulppy) and Paula pulled out a bandaid. All better. No harm done.

Next story: Terry SMS'd me (the international term for texting) that he hurt his leg last night and that he was on his way home from Vung Tau to go to the doctor. Normally I can hear and recognize Terry's footsteps/shoes in the hallway but not this time. He hobbled inside and looked in terrible pain. Evidently he hurt his knee from a fall he took last night on a dark sidewalk. Not surprising considering the unevenness of every surface here. The clinic is downstairs so I tagged along just for the experience of it all - - plus there's a dental clinic there so I was hoping to get a look at it (they shut the door in my face as I was nosing around, peering in). The whole process took about 30 minutes: registered, talked to a nurse, met with the physician, wheeled up to X-ray, X-ray taken, another consult with physician, elastic bandage slipped around knee, a prescription of Ibuprofin and some quick instructions, and payment at the front desk of something like $15 and we were off to lunch. Everyone was friendly and spoke English very well - - they even cracked and laughed at jokes. It was a joyful experience.

So I had my bandaid on my left knee and Terry can barely walk with his left knee. Hardly the same but it was still notable. Terry/Hoe and customers went off to Hanoi where, instead of hiking with them tomorrow, Terry will visit a clinic in Hanoi for some physical therapy. Frankly, the health care experience surprised me in a positive way. Quick and easy - - plus a referral for another visit in the city he will visit on business!

No comments: