Saturday, March 22, 2008

Conversation

At dinner Son's son asked which I thought was more important in learning the English language vocabulary or pronunciation or enunciation. An interesting question. We decided probably vocabulary, listening, and understanding. All are importnat.

With his son as interpreter Son said he was forced to go into the army as a young boy then decided to stay there for some time so he was unable to gain English language skills, something he regrets. The son reminded me that 'this country experienced a lot of unrest in the 1970's and 1980's.' Then Son added and his son interpreted: but Vietnamese forgive; we don't hold grudges and we repair bad relationships. We don't let past bad behavior fester in our minds; we move on and grow from it.' It was poignant to me since Son was a young boy in Viet Nam experiencing the war first hand and I was a young girl in the United States watching it on TV and now his son was telling about it as history, in the past. Very poignant. The world is a small place.

Young Son also said he heard that when he goes to the United States to live (his plan) he will not only have to learn English but also 'Mexican.' I reminded him that it's Spanish but thought that was interesting. I said if he lives in California or a southern state it will be beneficial for him but that it isn't necessary. We discussed latin-based languages and how they are fairly similar so that once he learned English learning Spanish wouldn't be so terribly difficult. His sister Catherine is learning Chinese and French, he learns Chinese, English and hopefully Spanish.

Young Son invited me to his home in Vung Tau. "I will play the piano for you there." He plays beautifully and knows I enjoy listening to him play. So sweet. Later at his apartment he told me he would like to live in United States with me while he attends University. 'That's an idea,' I said. We'll have to think about that.

No comments: