Monday, September 24, 2007

Will fresh food cooked perfectly grow tiresome?






I wonder if I'll ever get tired of this food here. Will I crave KFC or Pizza Hut? Will I say, "What? Fresh seafood - - again?" or "Why do we always have to have greens cooked perfectly in garlic with fresh soft shell crab and a fresh fruit platter; why can't we just have mac & cheese?" Blaahhhaaaahhaa! I hope not! Again, we went out to eat and pulled all the stops out with ordering: crabs in salt, pepper, and garlic (I would have licked the plate had Terry and Eileen not already done it! Just kidding), skewers of Tiger Prawns done in chilies and salt (amazing but I had to stop because my lips were burning!), a huge bowl of butter clams in a cilantro, butter & cream sauce (the people next to us spooned this broth into their baby's mouth; so were we!), fish spring rolls that we make ourselves with rice paper, a heaping bowl of herbs (mint, basil, lettuce, and other greens I've never known) and chili sauce, a large bowl of white rice to sop up the juices and a large plate of Chinese spinach with garlic gloves heaped on for dessert. Oh, and tea, beer, and a little liquor. This time we spent the most we've ever spent - - but that's because we were at a dinner club (outdoors) that sang Carpenter's, Beach Boys, and Elvis. We spent just under $40US or 565,000 dong. Seriously. We had a similar version of the meal at lunch time for $15US (see photo of soft shell crabs waiting at the entrance of the restaurant - - I had 2 of those) and will do the same tomorrow and the next day, I'm sure.

No comments: