Sunday, September 23, 2007

The good and the bad

They know if you've been sleeping, they know if you've been bad or good... The interesting thing about VN or any communist country for that matter, is that they take your passport for the duration of your stay at any hotel or guest house. Or in this case, apartment building. I arrived on Saturday and they hope to have my passport back on Monday after it is taken to the police for review. I've heard stories about residents that audibly complain about a lack of towels in this maid-serviced apartment building only to hear a knock at the door from a maid bearing clean towels. The story also goes that a woman broke a volume of glass in her kitchen and received replacements of those glasses without asking for them. Cameras? Recording devices? Most definitely. And the good thing about them taking my passport at hotels is that the government supposedly always knows where tourists are. So providing I'm not involved with any government-related disappearance, I can always be tracked if a kidnapping befalls me...there are the good aspects of communistic governments and the bad aspects...

No comments: