Saturday, September 29, 2007

The end of the day in Tibet

The computer is iffy to say the least - - but everyone is so helpful about it all! It's hard to figure out the Chinese symbols on the screen but at least I know my sites so well I'm able to sort of figure it all out. Kind of. When I was entering my posts earlier today I had to ask for help with photos. EVERYone on staff came to see my photos - - and commented about each one and even asked me to open some of them. They were especially interested in my girlfriend's babies that I visited before I left the states and the women dressed in sari at the function I wrote about in Vietnam. "Could you open that one for me, please?" "Could you open this one?" "Oh a baby! Open this one, please!" Of course I was only happy to do it! They are so excited and so interested in seeing pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge in CA and pictures of Vietnam! Then a guy named Frank and his girlfriend called Gypsy (yes, everything you might imagine with a name like that!) from New Jersey came and talked to me and looked at some of my photos. Then a guy from France asked to borrow my USB port for his camera in hopes that it would work (it didn't) so we chatted a little bit back and forth. Talking to other travellers is always fun! The guy from New Jersey, Frank, was wearing a Red Sox jersey (yes, everything you imagine with a shirt like that on...in Tibet) and said he can't wait to get home. He and Gypsy have been in Katmahndu for 3 days and will be in Tibet for another 6 days. He said this is his last visit to Asia; he doesn't like it at all. Of course he doesn't! It's obvious this isn't for him; he's wearing a Red Sox jersey in Tibet, for goodness sakes.

Tomorrow we don't begin our day until 9:30! Yippee! We will visit 3 monestaries and then come back to the hotel for a break until 2:30 when we will attend a debate about Tibet. Evidently these debates originated in the 15th century and are popular now; there's a lama or monk who is very emphatic and gets really riled, I guess. Gayyong says it's really interesting and a good way to learn about Buddhist faith and the Tibetan ways. I like him because he answers our questions and shares all sorts of information with us that I don't think other groups are getting. These debates won't be in English, obviously, so I won't gain much except the experience of it all!

Just when I thought there was more order in the driving here in Tibet or China in general, I'm wrong. Our van backed into busy traffic tonight then drove down the road in the wrong direction. He makes right turns from the left lane of a turnabout and makes sudden U-turns out of the blue. People honk but it's not really out of the ordinary, apparently.

More tomorrow if I can! Everyday with the internet here is sketchy!

No comments: