Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"I'm picking out a Thermos for you"


I am a fan of the Thermos. I love them, in fact. The only thing I probably like more is a Swiss Army Knife, but Thermoses - - THE Thermos - - is at the top of my list of favorite gadgety products. So imagine my excitement the other night when we were coming home from dinner down Ly Tu Trung Road and I saw a Thermos store! A STORE dedicated to the Thermos!!! A store filled with Thermi (okay, I'm making up that word)! I told Eileen that if there's one store I NEED to go to, it's that one. So on Tuesday we ventured out to find it and triumphantly did. Kiet, Terry and Eileen's driver, pulled over on to the sidewalk to wait for us and we entered Thermos Nirvana. I touched each one as it was displayed on the wall, each on its own little stand with a spotlight upon it. This store really celebrates the Thermos like it deserves to be celebrated! It's a thing of beauty. And the products are so funky and plastic-y now - - not your grandfather's Thermos, that's for sure! Most of them come with little insulated carrying bags so one can sling it proudly over their shoulder proclaiming to the world, "I'm carrying my hot liquid!" or "This is the liquid I'm going to drink later, everyone!" Amazing colors; amazing styles. So I picked a spot near the door, set down my bag and pulled out my camera readying myself to take the perfect photo to capture the essence of the place only to be told, "No picture." Seriously? I can't take a picture of the ONLY store I HAD to go into in Saigon?! What? "No, no, no" the sales girl said. So off we went. I was dejected, completely dejected. Eileen wonders if maybe the Thermoses are fakes and so the sales girl is worried about being caught...good point and an explanation that makes sense. I had to settle for a photo from the outside. If only I had that photo, then I would be happy...that's all I need...

No comments: