Thursday, September 27, 2007

I'm sari











This morning was the ILV (International Ladies of Vietnam) Sari gala. Eileen told me about it awhile ago and I knew I would attend. But what I didn't know is that Eileen had a sari made for me! It's gorgeous and predominantly orange and beige. We arrived early at the historic Rex Hotel downtown in order to get the place ready for the event. Nearly 200 women attended! I haven't mentioned anything in the blog but I've been fretting all week once I found out that the stomach customarily shows when wearing a sari. Then I realized (once again) who really cares?! I'm on vacation. I don't know these people. I am who I am; I am what I am. Love me or leave me. All that stuff... So what did I say the first thing this morning when it was my turn to get dressed? "I don't want my stomach to show." All the phrases I repeated like mantras went right out the window. But only for a minute because the woman helping me get dressed reminded me that all bodies are beautiful; how we carry ourselves makes the difference and a sari helps us carry ourselves with elegance. She was right! The minute that 12 yard piece of fabric was wrapped around me (over and over) I felt like a new person! It was so fun to wear. And the compliments I received from the Indian women there made it all the better. Bare stomach? What stomach!

The sari consists of a midriff bodice top and a drawstring waist slip that goes to the ankles. Both are intended (and required) to fit snugly; very snugly. The slip with tight drawstring is the only thing holding the fabric to the body so if the slip is lose around the waist the sari runs the risk of falling off. The tight bodice is very flattering on every body type - - I saw that today. The sari proves to be very alluring. It keeps the mystery of the female body intact while providing glimpses of it under sheer fabrics, especially the midriff which is considered very erotic. They say it's easy to put it on oneself but nearly impossible to put on someone else. I'm not sure I agree with that. I hope I'll be able to reassemble it on myself once I get home!

The older woman who helped me get dressed was a blast - - she was hilarious and really encouraging to me about the whole thing. She taught me how to walk, how to hold the sari out with my right hand so people could look at the decorative piece at the end that tells a story about the origin of the fabric, and she told me this: When a girl is wearing a sari and a man tries to "get up in there" the sari prevents it. Be sure to just forget you're wearing this sari and move naturally. You can run away fast from the men while wearing this sari - - you can do anything. I laughed...but she was really serious.

No comments: