Sunday, October 7, 2007

Eggs every which way

The food in Tibet is the complete antithesis of the food in Vietnam. Where Vietnam has fresh fruits and vegetables and a fantastic array of options, Tibet has root vegetables, apples, imported bananas, yak, and eggs. Eating is just a basic requirement not something done for enjoyment, at least not in my experience for the most part. The food I've eaten hasn't been bad or anything it just hasn't been overly appealing. Everything is egg related. Everything! Hard boiled, fried, scrambled, in noodles, in soup, in rice, and over rice! And lotus tea - - I drink it constantly and love it. I will miss it. No coffee for me the whole time I've been here. It has been tempting to skip meals due to lack of hunger but know that at this altitude that's not a good idea. Thankfully I brought dry milk with me so have been getting some semblance of milk - - with that weird dry milk flavor! But milk nonetheless. The hotel in Lhasa that we've stayed at the most has peanut butter!!! And not some generic-tasting peanut butter - - I think it's Jif!!! Now all I'm missing is popcorn.

No comments: