Sunday, March 23, 2008

WiFi in a developing country

This I cannot believe: I have my own computer with me on this trip and I have immediate and instant internet access at all times. That means I can stay in touch with my customers, my co-workers, my family/friends, and it also means I can contact people I plan to visit this week in Viet Nam. I have Skype on that computer which means I can phone anyone anywhere in the world through my computer headset. So I just telephoned my friend in Canada who was with his friend who just arrived from Malaysia. When Mark answered the phone he thought it was going to be John's wife in Malaysia but it was me in Viet Nam. Malaysia and Viet Nam are hardly places one would think to have internet access or Skype but they do - - the world is so much smaller with this technology! I feel a sense of familiarity with my computer close at hand, so close to home and friends. It's so amazing I had to make note of it.

No comments: