Monday, March 24, 2008

'Lady Lunch' at Jaspa's

I was invited to attend a going away party for one of Eileen's friends, Roni, an expat heating back to the states. Pennsylvania to be exact. She's a wonderful person whom I met and enjoyed on my last visit. So in Eileen's stead I attended the lunch. Plus, it was a great way for me to 1. find the place by walking, 2. meet people and talk to them about their experience as expats living in VN, and 3. to enjoy the company of people I don't know or don't know well and get a feel for what it's like to have to really put myself out there. It was so much fun. I met so many people that I truly enjoy and hope to see again. Two of these new friends have already texted me so we can plan an outing before I leave.

The restaurant just so happened to be around the corner from the Dong Do so after breakfast I packed up my bags and left them in the lobby then walked over to the restaurant. I was happy because I recognized the street as the one just up from my hotel and I recalled seeing the place the other night whilst out with Terry. So I CAN learn my way around this place afterall! It's the little things that give such satisfaction.

When I got to the restaurant I could tell I was in the right place due to the volumes of women getting out of their cars and taxis. The staff said the 'lady lunch' was upstairs so I headed up hoping to find familiar faces so I wouldn't feel so out of place. No need to feel out of place; everyone treated me like I was part of the group, as though I have been a part of the group forever. The menu at each of the place settings was titled 'Lady Lunch Menu.' 'Lady lunch' just makes me laugh. I like to sing it like Lou Rawls sings 'Lady Love.' :-)

It seems as though since this expat community is transient that people really do form quick bonds with one another. They seize their opportunities because time is so fleeting with people coming and going all the time. We enjoyed a great meal and I gained a lot of valuable information about living and thriving in Saigon. It's great to know that if I ever lived here that this group would be a support system for me.

No comments: