Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Minh Long Pottery w Paula and Sonja

Kiet drove me to Anh Phu to meet Paula and Sonja for an excursion to the Minh Lanh pottery showroom. We arrived to Paula's and I was awestruck at her and Ib's beautiful home! A dark blue pool in the front yard and bamboo trees all around was the first thing I noticed! It seems to me to be fashioned after a Malaysian theme with dark wood, big fans, marble floors, and warm-colored walls. Very cozy yet huge! Interesting furniture, rugs, artifacts, and paintings are everywhere. I loved it. The warmth of the house pales in comparison to the sparkle and presence of both Paula and her 26 year old daughter Sonja. I connected instantly with Paula the other day and it was the same with Sonja. Straight away I purchased some of Sonja's artwork that was hanging on the wall. The ideas are taken from Vietnamese propaganda books. Sonja has taken liberties with the designs by taking out the guns or other war paraphenalia and replacing them with rice bowls, t-shirts and other things. Very interesting and fun! One says, 'We love Pho!', another shows a guy with the saying 'You want motorbike?' and another shows a soldier with a small t-shirt and it says 'Big size for you!' All things I've heard or said! :-) Very fun! I have them all packed away in my suitcase along with the many purses I purchased.

After a hot cup of tea we headed to Song Bay where the showroom is, about 1 hour away. The views were great from the car as we drove through one village after another - - all connected into one with busy-ness and activity. Arriving at the showroom was amazing - - it's an opulent building with chandeliers, pottery fish, cranes, tea pots, huge planters, etc. I can't describe it as it was so oppulent. Instantly I noticed the large dental clinic occupying the entire top floor! I grabbed the brochures available in the lobby.

We shopped and shopped and I bought and bought - - but I only spent about $40 on everything!!! I bought pasta plates that say 'spicylicious' on them, a fish vase, bowls and vases in plain white stamped IKEA on the bottom (for .40US) and some rice bowls/plates/spoons with lime green polka dots on them! So fun. We ate a delicious meal in the center under an umbrella with a gold fish on the table in a bowl. I drank coconut juice out of the coconut knowing it would be my last for awhile.

The drive back was filled with great communication - - I love these two people and can't wait to see them again in life! We enjoyed a cup of hot coffee and then took off for Diamond where I was dropped off.

Thinking I was going to spend the afternoon blogging and catching up on things I sat down to the computer only to be SMS'd by Debi asking to meet for a drink at Jaspa's so off I went in the taxi! Janice was there from the Seychelles/Hong Kong along with Debi from Vancouver, WA. We drank strawberry daiquris and begged the waiter to make us some spicy salsa and give us chips. We got nachos with the spiciest salsa we have ever had. Even Debi, who knows her salsa, couldn't abide by that spicy concoction! We think we were eating Korean Dorito's. Yum! We also ordered a chocolate pudding cake that was outstanding! I have been craving these things so it was fun.

We sat and talked about life abroad and all that goes along with that. We laughed and ate for a couple of hours and then Janice's husband John joined us, then Debi's husband Frank whom I've met before. Terry SMS'd that he was on his way home so I left and headed back wtih Debi and Frank where they dropped me off at Diamond.

Terry and I headed over to the restaurant across the street and had my last dinner there. We sat under the bamboo (mosquitoes!) and then Hoe joined us.

No comments: