Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Final day and these dang bites

The bites on my legs are sand fleas, I'm convinced of it. They look like sand fleas, feel like sand fleas and I'm sorry to say, ooze like sand fleas. I know exactly from whence they came, too. I've been trying to deny it but it's obvious: they are on my knees down. That's exactly how deep I waded in the South China Sea albeit for just a few seconds - - probably not even a minute. I walked in the sand and picked up shells but then headed straight back for the car. And now because of it I am in misery and look hideous. A long skirt or pants irritates them more, a short skirt or shorts reveals my hideousness and surely must repulse others. There are details I will spare the reader but suffice to say it is horrible. And the swelling...

Because of the irritation my skin is under it was difficult to want to get out of bed or go out anywhere. Plus, I'm hopped up on Benadryl so go between jittery and sleepy. I will take more meds when I sit down on the plane but until then this first aid cream will have to do.

I caught up on blogging this morning and packed. Terry called to say he's across the street at my favorite restaurant (and hang out) with clients so I headed over there. Surprisingly they were still there. Lunch hours are precious thins here and are often extended to well into the afternoon. He said good-bye to the clients and joined me while I ate my meal of beef/garlic, fried spring rolls, papaya juice, coconut juice, and cha da. I relished every bite knowing it will be long time before I have it again. I will miss the food of Vietnam as much as I will miss the people.

We chatted, I paid (em oy, I shouted when I was ready for the check - - just like a local!), and we walked back to Diamond. I zipped up my bags and headed back downstairs so Kiet could load them into the car. Kiet is a great guy. He's reliable and friendly and also speaks some English. He's enjoyable to be around.

I took advantage of the cell phone Terry loaned me on the way to the airport by saying good-bye to people who phoned or whom I dialed. It kept me from crying and thinking about leaving because everyone was so upbeat.

Since I am flying Dynasty Class home I am entitled to lounge services so I'm sitting and watching the planes come and go from all over: Phillipines Air, Vietnam Airlines, and Malaysia Air are in front of me right now.

The immigration guy who stamped my visa and passport was quite the flirt. He indicated I look different in person than my picture shows and I pointed to my curly, wild hair. He said, "I like!" Then stared at me for a few seconds instead of going about his business. "You married?" he asked. When I responded 'no' he said, "Good. When you come back?" I told him maybe someday so he showed me his badge and told me to come back and see him 'right here.' It was funny and a good way to end the trip.

No comments: