Saturday, October 6, 2007

Team Building Exercise in Vietnamese

On Sunday the group went to the Potala, the former winter residence of the DL, now run by the Chinese. The photos of this famous building show the daunting staircase (to me, anyway) and I decided I didn't want to climb them since the sun was hot and there were a lot of people. It wasn't important enough to me to go there - - I wanted to watch people and walk around alone. So I headed to the West side, opposite of the East side where we entered. Our guide told me specifically they'd come out at the West side...It was confusing at first because there are two West entrances (or exits). I waited at what I pretty much knew was the wrong one for quite some time until I figured I had better go to the real West exit. Just as I rounded the corner I saw Son, my Vietnamese friend on the trip with us. We greeted each other as though we hadn't seen each forever. He was sweaty and appeared to have just exited so it was perfect timing. He, speaking Vietnamese, tried to tell me a bunch of things that I couldn't understand but they were things he was clearly excited about. We were still hanging on to each other so I knew whatever it was that he was telling me was important. He grabbed my arm and off we went - - to the East side of the Potala. Keep in mind that it's really hot, like 85 degrees and super sunny AND I've been in the sun all afternoon waiting for them (little shade could be found and there were very few people after all so it was a little dull for me). Son is a fast walker and he had a firm grip on my arm so I was running beside him until I finally asked him to stop. Again we tried to communicate: We need to stay on the West side, I tell him knowing that he doesn't understand a thing I'm saying. He responds and all I hear is "Come!" So off we go again. It's about 1/2 mile to the East side, maybe more. Pilgrims are walking spinning their prayer wheels and greeting me along the way, many trying to stop me and look at me (like they do). Son waited briefly then off we went again. I was thankful for those opportunities to catch my breath. We stopped to take a few photos of each other in front of the magnificent building and I once again tried to plead my case. But in Asia the men are definitely in charge, especially when the pair of you don't speak the same language so I acquiesced and followed him, this time a few strides behind. We reached the East side and he said, "I and you take taxi to hotel and call Mr. Hoe." I said, "You and I go to West side and wait for them there - - I know they are there." "No! We go to hotel." So we went to the hotel. I started to think that was a good idea until I realized that no one at the hotel had a phone that could call Hoe on his Vietnamese cell phone so my head began to scramble for other options. Not having our guide's phone number (a big mistake the guide service made in not giving it to us!) I was at a loss. Son had already copied Hoe's cell phone number from his own iPhone earlier (I watched him, he couldn't tell me that) so I knew we at least had the number. But when I realized we couldn't depend upon the kindness of strangers to call the number since it's in Vietnam, an entirely different country, I really began to try to figure something else out. The hotel sent us across the busy street to a small market (the size of a fitting room, practically) that had international phone service. So Son tried to call with direction from the Tibetan-speaking owner who didn't speak English. So now we have three people, three languages trying to find a solution to a problem. And no one understands the term "country code" so I was certain we'd never get a hold of Hoe. Evidently Son didn't share my negativity becuase he tried Hoe's cell phone about 25 times, no kidding, when finally Hoe answered! We were able to tell him we were at the hotel so they should stop trying to find us. We ended up wasting about 45 minutes or more but figured the problem out together and were so happy! We hugged and jumped up and down along with the shop owner (who didn't have a clue what was going on, I'm sure) and Son said, "I and you make good team!" We did! We figured that called for a cup of tea so went off again walking (!) and looking for tea to no avail. So we settled for Lhasa beer in the hotel dining room and waited for everyone to return. When they arrived they joined us for a beer and it was there that Son and Hoe were able to converse - - or should I say, it was there that Son was able to spill his story to Hoe who translated to the rest of us. Turns out Son was arrested by the Chinese police for taking a photo inside the Potala! After having his camera opened and looked at they determined it was okay but they sent him down immediately - - and that's where my story with him began! They let him keep his camera and the photos. What an experience - - and what an accomplishment! It strengthened our friendship to have gone through that little exercise in communication!

No comments: