Sunday, September 30, 2007

Free Tibet? I'm not so sure.

How about "Keep Tibet Autonomous". That seems to make more sense to me. Allow them to keep their culture, traditions, history, relics, etc. It just seems - - and this is only my humble opinion after spending only 2 weeks here - - that Tibet needs the resources of China to survive. The funds from China are building new roads(the road we took to Everest was just completed 1 month ago), it provides cell service, it supports and creates Tibet's infrastructure something I don't think Tibet can do on its own at this point. I'm no expert so these are just my observations. I realize that under Chinese rule Tibet's rich culture and traditional way of life is threatened - - severely - - but I would also imagine that more Tibetans have regular jobs, are making a more steady wage, are given more opportunities than they would have on their own without China. I could be wrong and I know China has its faults but the environment here is harsh and the land unforgiving so right off the bat it's got to be a tougher life here. I don't know anything except I have a lot to learn about this area and I'm anxious to go back to Minnesota to seek out who I can in the Tibetan community there to gain other perspectives. I've heard there's a strong Tibetan culture in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

No comments: